What is special?
This town's history has been rich in events and architectural landmarks of different styles reflect the changing times of the past and present. Among the landmarks are: the Myckolayiv Church (1607) of an architectural style, typical for Bukovyna; the wooden Voznesenska Church (16th century); the monumental Residence of Bukovynsky Metropolitans (1864), the Armenian Church (1869) where now concerts of classical chamber are organized as the interior of the church has wonderful acoustics.
Chernovtsy (Chernivtsi (Ukrainian spelling), other spellings are Chernivtsy, Chernovtsi) is a city and administrative center of Chernovtsy region of Ukraine. Chernovtsy city is situated on the upper Prut River at the Carpathian foothills. Chernovtsy is a railway and highway junction. Also there is an airport in the city.
According to archeological data Chernovtsy was founded in the second half of the 12th century. First documentary reference to Chernovtsy dates from 1408. It was a town in the Polish-Lithuanian kingdom and the chief center of the area known as the Bukovina. In 1848 under the influence of revolutionary events demonstrations of protest took place in Chernovtsy. In 1918 the Communist Party of Bukovina was founded and the same year it was conquered by Romania. In 1940 Chernovtsy and northeren Bukovina became the part of Ukrainian SSR of Soviet Union. Since 1940 Chernovtsy city is the center of Chernovtsy region.
One of the highlights of the city is Olga Kobylyanska Theatre of Music and Drama(1904-1905, built by the Viennese architects F.Felner and H.Helmer).The facade is embellished with sculptural compositions based on ancient Greek mythology. Side niches contain the marble busts of famous Ukrainian and world culture representetives).
Rather interesting are the buildings of the Philharmonic Concert Hall (1876) where Enrico Caruso (Italy) and Solomiya Krushelnytska (Ukraine) once sang, and the Armenian Church (1869-1975, architect Y.Hlavka). Since 1922 the church with its excellent acoustic hall has been used for concerts of classical and chamber music. Places of interest are: theHoly Spirit Cathedral (built in 1844 after Roel), Assumption Church (19th c.),Central Square, Town Hall (1843-47), Palace of Justice (1904-06), Victory Monument, monument to Olga Kobylianska (an Ukrainian novelist).
Ancient Kiev Askania-Nova Babiy Yar Baturin- kozatsky capital Chernovtsy City tour Churches in Lvov Ecological tour to Chernobyl General information Historical Treasures Museum Jewish thematic excursions Khortitsa Island Kiev - Odessa Tour (5 days/4 nights) Kiev-Pecherskaya Lavra Kyiv (also Kiev) Kyiv's Sport hotel National Art Museum news Night Kiev City tour Pirogovo Museum of Folk Arcitecture Podol Poland and Ukraine Savka's khutir The Heiromonk Ghost in the Cathedral - Kiev TOP PLACES: Tripollye UKRAINE Uman's park "Sophia"
25 Nov 2011
Chernovtsy City tour
Labels: Chernovtsy City tour